Patrick the purple dragon

dragoncoder047’s site

projects, ideas, and everything else

dragoncoder047's homepage

Last updated: Tue 24 January 2023

Hi, I guess.

Just so you know who you are dealing with… I am a high school student. I enjoy programming in Python, C++, and Javascript, as well as reverse-engineering, hacking, and building robots.

Below are some of the more notable ideas I have done, along with links to their description pages. I will note here that this list may, at times, be out of date. The best place to check is my Github repositories list which includes everything and is sorted by when I last did something with it.

LILduino

I wanted to be able to embed a scripting language on an Arduino so I don’t have to use a C compiler on another computer to reprogram it. After several false starts with Lisp, Tcl, and writing my own language, I discovered LIL. It’s written in C and even though it has no garbage collector (memory is managed very carefully by duplicating and freeing values when needed) it works very well. I wrote a bunch of C++ “extension modules” that hook into Arduino functions and libraries (GPIO, SD, cards, infrared communication, regular expressions, etc.), and basically have turned LIL into a crude operating system for any microprocessor that has enough horsepower to run it. Code here: https://github.com/dragoncoder047/lilduino


Schemascii

In late September 2022 I was fooling around with the PCB’s of the Armdroid and wanted to make circuit diagrams. I am not trained in and major EDA software like KiCad, and none I know of run in a Web browser at any rate, so I decided to do ASCII art drawings. The closest thing to what I wanted – Jovansonlee Cesar’s svgbob – doesn’t quite work the way I want it to, so I wrote my own program. Schemascii is designed specifically for circuit diagrams, and is written in Python so it can be embedded into a Python-Markdown-rendered site (such as my blog). There is also a CLI program for rendering standalone images. Schemascii is on GitHub: https://github.com/dragoncoder047/schemascii


Armdroid

In early 2022 I discovered two old Armdroid 1000’s and their accessories in the back of my engineering teacher’s storage closet, remnants from the days that my school taught PLTW Computer Integrated Manufaturing. I put together a website with pictures of the robots and links to other resources I found on the Web. Have a look at it here. This site also documents my efforts to reverse-engineer the Armdroid and control it with an Arduino Uno, which have been mildly successful.


Langton-Music

In late June 2022 I had the idea to try and create music from Langton’s Ant and other types of two-dimensional Turing machines. The little simulator I built isn’t terribly polished in terms of UI (it uses the browser-default styles for pretty much everything), but it works, and I actually managed to set it up so it is installable as a progressive web app. I haven’t had much of a chance to play around with it. You can find it here. Bug reports and feature requests can go on GitHub Issues, and everything else can go on this conwaylife.com forum thread.


Phoo

A little scripting language I invented based on the principle that everything is a stack. Phoo started as a Javascript port of another scripting language called Quackery, but took a left turn early on in development and is nothing like Quackery anymore. Phoo is a whole lot faster than Quackery and works well and the code is impressively concise compared to the equivalent Javascript or Python. I haven’t used Phoo “in” anything yet, and the shell is kind of broken, but Phoo has loads of possibilities of what can be done because it is just a general purpose programming language. Javascript source code on Github. Phoo’s documentation is a bit primitive, cobbled together by a little Python script, but everything that needs to be documented is documented relatively thouroughly on that link for the outward-facing Phoo words, and as JSDoc comments for Phoo’s internals.


Thuepaste

For a brief spat in March 2022 I got myself obsessed with the Thue programming language and wrote a little interpreter for it and a few demo programs, which are included along with a bunch of other demos I found on the internet. I came up with an idea for an algorithm that would determine the probablilty of any given Thue-machine halting, but without actually running it. Unfortunately, no matter what approach I took to trying to implement it, it either crashed, got stuck in a loop for hours, ran out of memory, or did some other horrible thing to my browser to make it so slow I had to force-quit and restart it on multiple occasions. My idea seems like it would work, I just can’t figure out how to implement it. Aside from making more demo programs, I don’t think I’ll get back to this much at all.